BRININGHAM is 4 miles S.W. by S. of Holt, and has in its parish 206 inhabitants, and 1138 acres of land, mostly belonging to Lord Hastings and the Marquis of Lothian, the former of whom is lord of the manor of Briningham-on-the-part-of-Thornage, (fines arbitrary,) and the latter of Briningham Chosells. Mr. J.G. Woodcock also has an estate here. On the north side of the parish is a tower about 60 feet high, called Belle Vue, as it commands extensive prospects. It is the property of Lord Hastings, and is occupied by his gamekeeper.
The Church (St. Maurice) comprises nave, chancel, and south-west tower with one bell. The entrance is through the tower; and in the chancel is a piscina, and also a stained glass window representing the Resurrection and Ascension. One half of the nave is filled with open seats having poppies, and the rest contains closed pews. The church was partially restored in 1863.
The perpetual curacy is in the patronage of Lord Hastings, and incumbency of the Rev. Shovel Brereton, M.A., who has a good residence, built in 1844. The tithes have been commuted for £353 per annum.
The chief residents are -
Brereton The Rev. S., M.A. Parsonage Colman Wm. bricklayer Crisp A. parish clerk Locksmith Mr. Robt. Maris John shopkeeper and vict., White Horse Payne Rt. tailor and grocer Richmond Robt. miller Woods Robt. gamekeeper farmers Barwick Jas. (and cattle dealer) Thompson Robt. Edward May Robert Green Wm. Olley Christopher (and shopkeeper)POST OFFICE at Chas. West's. Letters despatched, via Thetford, at 4.40 p.m.
Copyright © Pat Newby.