[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
BRIDGHAM, a small village in the pleasant vale of the Thet river, 2 miles W. of East Harling, and 6 miles E. by N. of Thetford, contains 328 inhabitants, and 2639A. of land, of which Sir J. S. Sebright, Bart., is principal owner and lord of the manor. Wm. Cockell and C. Harrison, Esqrs., have estates here.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) has a nave, chancel, and north porch, and a wooden belfry, with two bells. It was new roofed in 1842. The Rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 1s., and in 1831 at £400, is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Currie, B.A., with 22A. of glebe.
The poor have £9. 18s. yearly from Christ's College, Cambridge, as the gift of Mr. Risley, who was rector here in 1523, and £6. 8s. yearly from the rent of 7A. 2R. 35P. left by Dorothy Gawdy, in 1791. The Fuel Allotments, awarded at the enclosure in 1806, comprise more than 300A., on which all the parishioners, not occupying £21 a year, cut turf and ling.
Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1834.
Currie Rev. Thos., B.A. Rectory Cockell Wm. Esq. Brame Geo. vict., Red Lion Cooper John grocer Cutter Wm. blacksmith Davy James beerhouse Hastead Samuel wheelwright Whitrod Wm. shoemaker Wilton Edwd. carpenter Wilton Wm. miller farmers Carter Samuel Hastead Benj. Read Stephen Ringer George
See also the Bridgham parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.