[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]
BRETTENHAM parish is in Thetford union and county court district, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Norwich bankruptcy district, Shropham hundred, Thetford polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 93 inhabitants in 1881, and has a rateable value of £889. The parish lies in the vale of the river Thet, 4 miles E. of Thetford Railway Station, and 5 miles from Harling Road Station. It only contains one farm house, a few cottages, and 1881 acres of sandy land, all in one farm, occupied by Mr. John Fergusson, and belonging to Sir Robert J. Buxton, Bart., M.P., the lord of the manor. Several Roman coins of Vespasian and other Emperors have been dug up here, together with a few urns, which led Blomefield to suppose that the station, Combretonium, was here, and not at Brettenham, in Suffolk.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) was burnt down in 1693, along with the rectory house, but was shortly afterwards re-built; and in 1853 was restored and beautified by the Buxton family. It is now a handsome edifice, comprising nave, chancel, north and south transepts, and tower with five bells. Several of the windows are enriched with stained glass, and the walls are ornamented with scriptural texts. The roof of the chancel is finely painted and gilt, and the floor is of polished tiles. The seats are neat open benches, and the font and pulpit are of carved stone.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 12s. 6d., now annexed to Rushford, is in the patronage of Sir Robt. Jacob Buxton, Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Kedington Bennett, D.C.L., who resides at Rushford. The value of the joint benefice is £340.
The school is at Rushford.
POST from Thetford, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office, arrives at 8 a.m., despatched at 7 p.m. It is proposed to erect a Pillar Box here.
Fergusson Jno. frmr. land & estate agt. Brettenham manor Rayner James parish clerk and sexton Wyatt Thomas farm bailiff to John Fergusson
See also the Brettenham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.