[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BRETTENHAM parish, in the vale of the river Thet, 4 miles E. of Thetford, has only one farm house, a few cottages, 72 inhabitants, and 1981 acres of sandy land, all in one farm, occupied by Mr. John Palmer, and belonging to Sir Robert J. Buxton, Bart., the lord of the manor.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5. 12s. 6d., and now worth £202 per annum, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely, and incumbency of the Rev. Fredk. D. Panter, of Rushford.
The Church (St. Andrew) was burnt down in 1693, along with the rectory house, but was shortly afterwards re-built; and in 1853 was thoroughly restored and beautified by the Buxton family. It is now a handsome edifice, comprising nave, chancel, north and south transepts, and tower with five bells. Several of the windows are enriched with stained glass, and the walls are ornamented with scriptural texts. The roof of the chancel is finely painted and gilt, and the floor is of polished tiles. The seats are neat open benches, and the font and pulpit are of carved stone.
Several Roman coins of Vespasian and other Emperors, have been dug up here, together with a few urns, which led Blomefield to suppose that the station, Combretonium, was here, and not at Brettenham, in Suffolk.
POST from Thetford.
See also the Brettenham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.