[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
BRETTENHAM parish, in the vale of the river Thet, 4 miles E. of Thetford, has only one farm-house, a few cottages, 62 inhabitants, and 1888 acres of sandy land, occupied by John Palmer, and belonging to Sir W. B. Proctor, Bart., the lord of the manor and patron of the CHURCH, (St. Andrew,) which, with the rectory-house, was burnt down in 1693, but afterwards rebuilt, except the chancel, of which the arch of a large window still remains.
The Rectory, valued in K.B. at £5. 12s. 6d., and in 1831 at £200, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Lewis Jones.
Several Roman coins of Vespasian and other Emperors, have been dug up here, together with a few urns, which led Blomefield to suppose that the station, Combretonium, was here, and not at Brettenham, in Suffolk.
See also the Brettenham parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.