[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BRETTENHAM is a parish and village, connected with Rushford by a bridge over the river Thet, 4 miles east from Thetford station on the London and North Eastern Railway, in the Southern division of the county, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Thetford rural district and county court district, Shropham hundred, rural deanery of Thetford, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich.
The original church, together with the rectory house, were destroyed by fire on 18th May, 1693. The present church of St. Andrew, built in 1852 at the expense of the Dowager Lady Buxton, is a small and beautiful edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, vestry, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells: the church was thoroughly restored and stained windows added by the late John Musker esq. in 1903: there are 180 sittings. The register dates from the year 1777.
The living is a rectory, consolidated by Order in Council with the adjoining benefice of Rushford, joint net yearly value £440, in the gift of the trustees of the late John Musker esq. and held since 1928 by the Rev. Waldegrave Mutrie Shepherd M.A. of Oxford University, hon. O.F. who resides at Thetford.
The trustees of the late John Musker esq. are lords of the manor and sole landowners. The soil is clay and sand; subsoil, clay. The land is chiefly in pasture. The area is 1,983 acres of land and 23 of water; the population of the civil parish in 1921 was 75, and of the ecclesiastical parish 239.
Letters through Thetford, nearest Money Order & Telegraph office
See also the Brettenham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.