The National Archives (was PRO) ref is HO/107/781/3
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
The following surnames are contained in the document. The numbers
following each are the Page number (12, 13 or 14) in Folios 2 and 3
[the census is contained entirely in two Folios]
which contain one or more occurences of the name.
Alderton (p12, p13)|
See Notes for most entries marked with a "(*)".
- Census place (parish, township, etc.)
- Hundred = Shropham
- Supt. Registrar's District = Thetford
- Registration District = Thetford
- Enumeration District = 15
- Description = Brettenham
- The columns transcribed are as follows :-
- Address (street, number, etc.)
- Un = "Uninhabited or Building"
- In = "Inhabited"
- A "/" in this column indicates more than one household
at the same address - although the enumerator is not
- Surname / Forename / Relationship to head / Marital condition
- Age / Male or Female (rounded to nearest 5 years. Under
15 yrs is exact)
- Whether born in same County ( Y or N ).
- Whether born in S(cotland), I(reland),or F(oreign) Parts.
F(olio) 2 - Page 12
|John Whistler||18||M. S.||Y|
|Mary Jerman||20||F. S.||Y|
|Susan Ripper||20||F. S.||Y|
|Maria Alderton||15||F. S.||Y|
|Henry Do|| 7||Y|
|One||Havis Kerridge (*)||31||Labourer||Y|
|William Do|| 9||Y|
|George Do|| 7||Y|
|Charles Do|| 5||Y|
|Sarah Do|| 2||Y|
|Elizabeth Do|| 1||Y|
|James Do|| 5 mon||Y|
|Edward Do||20|| Do||Y|
|William Millenger||19|| Do||Y|
|TOTAL in }|
Page 12 }
| 4||15|| 9|
| (See Notes)|
|F(olio) 3 Page 13|
|Brettenham||One||William Alderton||75||[Infirm] Ag Labourer||Y|
|Thomas Do||40||Ag Labourer||Y|
|John Do|| 4||Y|
|Elizabeth Do|| 1||Y|
|One||Thomas Denny||35||Ag Labourer||Y|
|Elizebeth Do (*)||35||Y|
|Elizebeth Do|| 6||Y|
|Henry Do|| 8||Y|
|Jacob Do|| 2||Y|
|One||Burton Aves (*)||30||Shepherd||Y|
|Mary Ann Do||25||Y|
|Lucy Do|| 6||Y|
|Maria Do|| 4||Y|
|Charles Do|| 2||Y|
|Richard Do|| 9 mon||Y|
|William Tyler||22|| Do||Y|
|TOTAL in }|
Page 13 }
| 3||13|| 9|
|F(olio) 3 Page 14|
|John Do||37|| Do||Y|
|Thomas Do||30|| Do||Y|
|Naoni (sic - *) Do||34||Y|
|John Do|| 7||Y|
|Reuben Do|| 3||Y|
|Betsey Do|| 9 mon||Y|
|William Baker||20||Ag Labourer||Y|
|John Edwards||20||Ag Do||Y|
|George Howlet||17||Ag Do||Y|
|Christr Hambling||17||Ag Do||No|
|William Fuller||16||Ag Do||No|
|George Rouse||16||Ag Do||No|
|John Woolsey||15||Ag Do||No|
|TOTAL in }|
Page 14 }
| 1||13|| 3|
|Total on Page 12|| 4|| 15|| 9|
|Total on Page 13|| 3|| 13|| 9|
|Total on Page 14|| 1|| 13|| 3|
|Totals|| 8|| 41|| 21|
Total of Persons 62
[End of Census Document]
- All shorthand contractions in the document have been
reproduced as written.
- Where the age is given in "Months" this has been contracted to "Mon"
in the transcription.
- The abbreviations are
"Ag Labourer" = "Agricultural Labourer", "Christr" = "Christopher",
"Do" = "Ditto",
"F. S." = "Female Servant",
and "M. S." = "Male Servant".
- The text enclosed in "" was on the original but had been crossed out
but has been included here for completeness.
- In other documents and transcriptions the following alternative spellings
have been seen which appear to refer to the same people/places:-
Aves/Avis/Avers, Boby/Bobby, "Elizebeth Denny"/"Elizabeth Denny",
- At bottom of page 12 in the margin was :-
"Detached from Rushford Parish Guiltcross Hundred
Norfolk Co No of Dist [District] 15"
- The following are noted from Gooderstone Parish Registers etc. :-
- Baptism of "Havers" the son of Abraham and Anne KERRICH on 6th Nov 1809.
The 1851 Census says that Havers KERRIDGE was born in Gooderson, Norfolk
which is actually Gooderstone. Other census appear to record the same
person as "Haves" and "Havis".
- The following are noted from Brettenham Parish Registers etc. :-
- Marriages - 1813 to 1836 - No. 16 :-
Havers KERRIDGE of Bridgeham [Bridgham] - single and Martha
COOPER of Brettenham - single, were married by Banns on 3rd
July 1830 by Thomas METHOLD Junr - Curate and both bride
and groom made their marks. This curate registered their children with
same spelling ie. KERRIDGE.
- Baptisms - 1813 to 1903 :-
- Entry 23 in 1832 - William son of Havers and Martha KERRIDGE of Brettenham
Entry 27 in 1834 - George son of Havers and Martha KERAGE of Brettenham
Entry 30 in 1835 - Charles son of Havers and Martha KERAGE of Brettenham.
The KERAGE entries are made by Thomas Lewis JONES, Rector of Brettenham.
- Entry 36 - Charles son of Burton and Mary Ann AVIS on 21st Oct 1837
- his occupation was a Shepherd.
Entry 37 - Ruben (sic) son of John and Naomi BALLS bapt. on 25th Dec 1838.
John was a Labourer and also the Parish Clerk.
See also the
Brettenham parish page and the
main Census page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Mike Bristow.