Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Bressingham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]

BRESSINGHAM, is a large scattered village, on the north side of the open vale of the Waveney, 2 miles W. by N. of Diss, and has in its parish 647 inhabitants, and 2287A. of land, lying mostly in the Duke of Norfolk's manors of Bressingham and Boyland, (fines arbitrary,) and partly in the rectory manor, and Buckenham Priory manor. L. Palmer, Esq., is lord of the latter.

Boyland Hall, an ancient mansion, with a large farm, is the Duke's property, and was built by Sir Richard de Boyland, an itinerant judge of the time of Edward I., who formed here a subterraneous walk, or conduit, by which water was brought to his baths and moats from an overflowing well, which still remains.

The Church (St. John the Baptist,) was rebuilt by Sir Roger Pilkington, in 1526, and repaired after the civil wars. It is a large structure, with a fine tower and five bells. The east window has four figures in stained glass. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £15, is in the gift of the Duke of Norfolk, and incumbency of the Rev. G.H.C. Bidwell, A.B., who has 36A. 12P. of glebe, a handsome Rectory-House, built in 1842, and a yearly rent of £613, awarded in 1843 in lieu of tithes.

In 1728, Elizabeth Barker left a house and land, to be applied by the rector and churchwardens in the support of a school for poor children. The property, including an allotment awarded to it at the enclosure, consists of a house and school-room, and 5A. 3R. 8P. of land, worth about £15 a year. The master teaches eight free scholars reading and writing.

A yearly rent-charge of £2, left by John Welham, in 1702, is distributed among the poor in bread. The Fuel Allotment, 24A. 15P., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1802, and is divided into small lots, on which the poor cut turf, &c. The Town Lands, partly acquired at the enclosure, comprise 10A. 31P., let for about £20 a year, which is carried in equal moieties to the church and poor rates. Here are also two houses and 3R. of land occupied by paupers.

	  Bidwell   Rev. Geo. Henry
	              Clarke, A.B.   rector
	  Eaton     Peter            wheelwright
	  Fisher    Mr. Benj.
	  Kent      John             gent
	  Linstead  George           carpenter
	  Taylor    Burgess          cabinet maker
	  Thwaites  Jas.             shopr. & vict. Chequers

	     Blacksmiths.

	  Loveless  J. and Wm. F.
	  Punt      Jeremiah

	     Corn Millers.

	  Eaton     John
	  Fisher    Nathaniel
	  Hewson    Henry

	             FARMERS (* are Owners).

	  Annis     John             Jolly     George
	* Baldry    John             Knights   Robert
	* Betts     John           * Murton    Wm.
	  Bryant    John           * Page      Jeremiah
	  Bryant    Samuel           Palmer    Richard
	  Bunn      Robert           Potter    Rt. Roper
	  Crich     Simon            Punt      George
	* Davy      John           * Robinson  Thos.
	  Diver     Thomas H.        Rodwell   Samuel
	  Eaton     Isaac            Roper     Edward
	  Elliott   Wm.            * Smith     Thomas
	  Fisher    Benj.            Tacon     Abraham  Boyland Hall
	  Fuller    Garrard          Whitmore  Richd.   Hall
	  Garnham   John             Woodcock  Robt.
	  Hart      Nathaniel        Wright    John
	* Hoskins   James

	     Shoemakers.

	  Landemore John
	  Porcher   John
	  Thwaites  Jas. H.

See also the Bressingham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 2001