BRECKLES, or Breccles, a small village and parish, 1½ miles S.E. from Stow Bedon Railway Station, 5 miles S. by E. of Watton, is in Wayland union, Attleborough county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Wayland hundred, Wayland petty sessional division, Wayland polling district of West Norfolk, Breckles rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 130 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1860 acres, and has a rateable value of £1030 10s.
The soil belongs to Sir Edward C. Kerrison, Bart., the lord of the manor. Breckles Hall, now a farmhouse, is an ancient brick building, erected in 1583, with a good archway in front. It contains several large and lofty rooms, some of which are lined with tapestry and carved oak panelling. In 1806, John Stubbins died in this parish in his 108th year.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret) is a neat fabric in the Early English style, comprising nave, south porch, chancel, and round tower with octagonal belfry, and two bells. It was thoroughly restored in 1862 at the expense of the patron, and is furnished with handsome open benches with poppy heads, and carved pulpit and reading desk, all of oak. The ancient rood screen still remains.
Sir Edward C. Kerrison, Bart., is patron of the discharged vicarage, which was valued in the King's Book at £7 7s. 11d., and is now worth £45 a year, having been augmented from 1767 to 1824 with £1000 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The Rev. William Smyth Thorpe, of Shropham Villa, is the vicar.
The Board School is at Hockham, but an infant school is held in the building erected in 1854 by the lord of the manor.
LETTERS, viâ Attleborough, arrive at 9 a.m. The nearest Money Order Office is at Hockham, and Pillar Box, Stow Bedon, distant 1 mile.
Ayers John carpenter, wheelwright and parish clerk Bailey James carpenter & whlwright Brasnett Walter Thos. fmr. Lodge frm Dexter Frederick bricklayer Dexter Mrs Harriet schoolmistress Downes George thatcher Goddard James farmer Harwin John farmer, The Grange Oldfield Robert farmer, Breckles hall
Copyright © Pat Newby.