The CHURCH (St. Michael) is a plain building of Perpendicular architecture, and consists of nave, chancel, north porch and square tower with one bell. In the chancel are marble tablets of the Drake and Frost families. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 6s. 8d., and consolidated with that of Strumpshaw. The tithes have been commuted for £150 per annum.
Near the railway station there formerly stood the ruins of an ancient religious edifice, the dedication, endowment, or architecture of which nothing is known, though the site is still called Chapel field. These ruins were removed in 1820, and the surrounding soil was levelled, when a vast quantity of human bones were laid bare, and a number of urns of Roman construction, containing ashes, were found.
POST OFFICE. Wall Post Office cleared at 4.40 p.m., week days only. Letters, via Norwich, arrive at 9 a.m. Blofield is nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Culley Frederick Wynyard Hector, Esq Dingle George vict. White Horse Gilbert Henry Charles Bliss farmer, The Hall, and Freethorpe Gowen Robert blacksmith Gunton Mr. Henry Hutchins George shopkeeper Johnson Mr William Stuart Merrison Benjn. farmer & cattle dlr Roberson Miss Ellen Smith Charles steward Smith C.H. stationmasterCARRIERS from Cantley to Norwich pass through on Wed. and Sat.
See also the Braydeston parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.