[Transcription copyright © David E.A. Matthews]
BRANDON PARVA, or Little Brandon, 5½ miles N.N.W. of Wymondham, and 10 miles W. of Norwich, is in Forehoe union, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Forehoe hundred, Forehoe petty sessional division, Wymondham polling district of South Norfolk, Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 162 inhabitants in 1881, living on 984 acres, and has a rateable value of £1626. Its parish mostly belongs to J.W. Sutton (lord of the manor), John Dring, and C.C. Atkins (of Coston) Esqrs.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is of Perpendicular architecture, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with one bell. The east window is of the Decorated period, but very plain. The roof is of open timber, and in the chancel is a well-preserved piscina. Here are marble tablets of the Warner and Tidd families. In 1854 two new windows were inserted in the north wall of the nave, at a cost of £30; in 1856 the chancel arch was rebuilt, at a cost of £55; and in 1860 the church was re-roofed, the porch was rebuilt, and two new windows were placed in the south wall of the nave, at a cost of about £300. The church was re-seated in 1869, and an organ was erected in the chancel in January 1865.
The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8 3s. 9d., and now having a yearly rent-charge of £321, awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. Mrs. Gwyn is patron, and the Rev. Philip Preston Gwyn, M.A. is the incumbent, and has a rectory house, built in 1854, at a cost of £1500, at the sole expense of the patron. Here are 14 acres of glebe.
In 1692 Abigail Costivel left £20 towards building a school here, and endowed it with a yearly rent-charge of 20s. out of High House farm. The old school was divided many years ago into three tenements, claimed by the churchwardens, who, in 1833, agreed to pay the rent of one of them (£2) towards the support of a Sunday school. This property was sold in 1882, and the proceeds appropriated according to the orders of the Local Government Board and the Charity Commissioners. The day school is held at present at the glebe farm, but the building of a school room is contemplated.
The poor have £10 a year out of Mr. Onley's estate, left by John Warner in 1702, for distribution on Christmas day. The Fuel Allotment, 10 acres, was awarded at the enclosure in 1833, and is let for £13 a year to Mr. Robert Norton.
POST viâ Wymondham. Nearest Money Order Office at Barnham Broom. Letter Box cleared at 5.35 p.m.
Atkins Charles C. owner & farmer; h Coston Cursons John farmer Dring John farmer and owner, Dairy House farm Gwyn Rev. Philip Preston, M.A. The Rectory Holland Thomas farmer Howard Robert farmer Pallant James parish clerk Stearman Robert farm bailiff Sutton John William farmer & owner, Monks Hall
See also the Brandon Parva parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.