[Transcription copyright © David E.A. Matthews]
BRANDISTON and GUTON form a small parish, 3 miles E.S.E. of Reepham, and 5 miles S.W. by W. of Aylsham, in St. Faith's union, Aylsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Eynsford petty sessional division, Eynsford hundred, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 142 inhabitants in 1881, living on 763 acres, and has a rateable value of £1358.
The soil belongs to Edward Fellowes, Esq., Magdalen College (Oxford), Rev. W. Atthill, M.A., H.W. Butler, Esq., and the Rev. H. Evans Lombe, J.P. Brandiston Hall, which has a reputed manor attached to it, and contains a number of good family portraits and some rare specimens of carved oak, including a very handsome bedstead, cabinets, a chimney-piece, several chairs, &c., is the property of Rev. William Atthill, M.A., whose family has been seated here for more than two centuries. Guton Hall and the manor belongs to Magdalen College, Oxford, and is occupied by A. Leamon, Esq.
Brandiston CHURCH (St. Nicholas) comprises nave, chancel, and porch, and was thoroughly restored about 1844. In its windows are some ancient specimens of stained glass. Another church, dedicated to St. Swithin, is supposed to have stood in the same graveyard.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 12s. 8½d., and now having 11 acres of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £243 10s., awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in Magdalen College, Oxford, and the Rev. John McMahon Wilder, B.D., is the rector.
In 1567 William Gurney left for the benefit of the poor parishioners 20A. 3R. 31P. of land, now let for £33 per annum. In 1853 four almshouses were built with savings of income of this charity, and are let rent free to poor people.
POST from Norwich. WALL BOX cleared at 3.30 p.m. Cawston is the nearest Money Order Office.
Butler Hy. Woods farmer; h Booton Hickling John Shepheard farmer; h Cawston Leamon Arthur tanner and farmer, Guton Hall; and at Whitwell Wilder Rev. John McMahon, B.D. rector
See also the Brandiston parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.