[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BRANDISTON and GUTON form a small parish, 3 miles E.S.E. of Reepham, and 5 miles S.W. by W. of Aylsham, containing 137 souls, and about 737 acres of land, in the manors of Bintry Hastings and Langetot, but mostly the property of Edward Fellowes, Esq., (owner of Guton Hall;) Magdalen College, and the Culley, Lombe, and Atthill families. The latter have been seated more than two centuries at Brandiston Hall, now only a small house, which was repaired about 10 years ago by the Rev. Prebendary Atthill, a member of the Irish Church.
Brandiston Church (St. Nicholas,) has a short round tower, and in its windows are some ancient specimens of stained glass. It has recently been thoroughly repaired. Another church, dedicated to St. Swithin, is supposed to have stood in the same grave-yard. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 12s. 8½d., and now having 11A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £243. 10s., awarded in 1841, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in Magdalen College, Oxford, and the Rev. Caddy Thomas is the incumbent.
In the 9th of Elizabeth, Wm. Gurney left, for the benefit of the poor parishioners, 20A. 3R. 31P. of land, now let for £23. 5s. a year.
Atthill Miss Martha Butcher Capt. John Lewis Brandiston Hall Thomas Rev. Caddy rector farmers. Culley Hy. Guton Hall Page Wm. Riches John
See also the Brandiston parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.