BRAMPTON, a small parish, on the river Bure, 2½ miles S.S.E. of Aylsham, is in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division[,] Aylsham polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 182 inhabitants in 1881, living on 521 acres; the rateable value is £900. There are 16A. of common. P.E. Sewell, Esq. owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor, which was held by a family of its own name, till 1663. Roman coins, urns, &c., have been found here, and in the adjoining parishes of Buxton and Burgh.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) is an ancient structure, comprising nave, chancel, and south porch. The tower contains one bell, and is round at the base and octagonal above. The nave is thatched and the chancel tiled. Here are some good brasses.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and now having 21A. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £154 in lieu of tithes, is in the patronage of the Rev. Henry Philip Marsham, M.A., and incumbency of the Rev. Andrew Siely Warner, of Marsham. The church land is 2¼A. The Hall, now a farmhouse, was built in 1595.
Here is an Infant School, established in 1843, and chiefly supported by the Misses Wright.
POST OFFICE at Mr. George Bircham's. Letters arrive at 7.30 a.m., and are despatched at 4.0 p.m., via Norwich. Aylsham is the nearest Money Order Office.
Bircham Geo. grocer and postmaster Doughty Robert blacksmith Goulty Charles carpenter Mack Mrs Sarah A. vict. Cross Keys Riches Mrs Jane schoolmistress Rushworth George bootmaker Sayers Mrs Emma farmer, Hall farm Seaman Jas. wheelwrt. and pump mkr Seaman Mrs Sarah A. vict. Maid's Head Smith James farmer Von Halle Mr John Henry
Copyright © Pat Newby.