Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Brampton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

BRAMPTON, a small parish on the river Bure, 2½ miles S.S.E. of Aylsham, has 263 souls, and 521A. of land, but only 482 acres are assessable, and 16 are common. John Wright, Esq., owns most of the soil, and is lord of the mannor [sic], which was held by a family of its own name, till 1663. Roman coins, urns, &c., have been found here and in the adjoining parishes of Buxton and Burgh.

The Church (St. Peter,) is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and now having 14A.3R.28P. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £154, in lieu of tithes. Robt. Marsham, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. W.A.W. Keppel, of Hainford, incumbent; for whom the Rev. Henry Philip Marsham officiates. The church land is 2½A.

The Hall, now a farm-house, was built in 1595. Here is an Infant School, established in 1843, and chiefly supported by the Misses Wright.

DIRECTORY:

	Barton   James     shoemaker
	Bircham  George    coal &c., merchant
	Bircham  Martha    schoolmistress
	Clark    Robert    bricklayer
	Ives     Robert    butcher and vict., Maid's Head
	Mack     James     vict., Cross Keys
	Mitchell Charles   joiner and cooper
	Moore    John      blacksmith
	Sayer    Ann       farmer
	Seaman   James     wheelwright
	Sutton   Richard   lime burner and farmer

See also the Brampton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 1999