Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Bramerton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BRAMERTON, a small village and parish, 4½ miles S.E. by E. of Norwich, has 229 inhabitants, and 728A. 3R. 29P. of land, belonging to J.J. Blake, Esq., Mrs. Miller, J.N. Waite, Esq., and several other proprietors. The Hall, which was the seat of the Corys from 1400 to the middle of the last century, is now the property of J.J. Blake, Esq., but is occupied by Mrs. Sophia Blake. Hill House, the seat and property of Wm. Wilde, Esq., is a pretty building in the Tudor style, situated on an eminence above the river Yare, and commanding an extensive view.

The Church (St. Peter) was rebuilt in 1462, and is now in the decorated style. It comprises nave, chancel, north transept, south porch, and square tower with one bell. The north window of the chancel contains some modern stained glass; and here is a mural tablet in memory of the late John Blake, Esq., whose widow and son built the transept in 1860, at a cost of £200. An organ was bought by subscription in 1861, at a cost of £60.

The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and now at £258 a year, is in the patronage of Robt. Fellowes, Esq., and in the incumbency of the Rev. Edmund Blake, M.A., who has a handsome brick residence, built in 1839, at a cost of £1400. Here are about 22 acres of glebe.

The National School, a neat brick building, which was erected in 1853, by the late J. Blake, Esq., is attended by about 50 children.

The town land, 5A. 2R. 20P., is let for £6, which is distributed in coals. This parish has £5 every fifth year, for apprentice fees, and 20s. yearly for the poor, from Cock's Charity. (See Hillington.) In 1711, the Rev. Wm. Berney left £100 for schooling poor children, but the interest has not been paid since the death of Sir John Berney.

POST OFFICE at John Moore's. Letters desp. to Norwich via Trowse, at 4.45 p.m.

	Beaumont  Robert              farmer & parish clerk
	Blake     Rev. Edmund, M.A.   Rectory
	Blake     John Joseph, Esq.   Lodge
	Blake     Mrs Sophia          Hall
	Bowler    Susannah            schoolmistress
	Forder    John                shopkeeper
	French    John                victualler, Wood's End
	Frost     Samuel              gardener
	Lee       Franklin B.         surgeon
	Miller    Mrs Mary            The Rookery
	Moore     John                postmaster
	Nobbs     John                pork butcher
	Osborne   Jacob               farmer
	Todd      David               blacksmith
	Waite     John Newman, Esq.
	Wilde     Wm. Esq.            city coroner, Hill House


See also the Bramerton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 2008