BRADENHAM (WEST) is a parish of dispersed houses, separated from the above [Bradenham, East] by a small rivulet, 2½ miles W.N.W. of Shipdham, and 6½ miles E. of Swaffham. It has 364 inhabitants, and 1703A. of land, mostly the property of W.M.R. Haggard and Barry Girling, Esqrs., the former of whom is lord of West Bradenham, and the latter of Bockenham Hall manor.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) stands on an eminence, and has a square tower with quoins and battlements of freestone, surmounted by a small spire. An ancient screen divides the nave and chancel. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7.1s.10d., and in 1831 at £296. It is now enjoyed by the Rev. R.J. King, of Wisbech, who is also lessee of the rectorial tithes, under the Bishop of Ely, the patron and appropriator.
West Bradenham Hall, about half a mile N. of the church, the pleasant seat of W.M.R. Haggard, Esq., was built in 1772, by T. Smyth, Esq., about two furlongs from the site of the old hall, which was a castellated mansion, surrounded by a moat, which now encompasses a thriving plantation. It was purchased of the Smyths, by the grandfather of the present Mr. Haggard, one of whose ancestors, Sir Andrew Ogard, held the manor in the reign of Henry VI., after which it was held by the Clifton, Knyvet, and Devereaux families. Col. Mason has an estate in the parish.
The FUEL ALLOTMENT, awarded at the enclosure, in 1802, consists of 14A.1R.12P., let for £15.9s. a year, which is distributed in coals. Of this land 2A.2R.36P. is let in nine plots, to industrious labourers. Land, &c. left to the poor, by Richd. Brotherwick, and four other donors, in the 17th century, was exchanged at the enclosure for 7A.0R.25P., and two cottages, let for about £15 a year, which is distributed in coals.
Booth Rev. Henry curate Hoggard Wm. Maybohm Rider, Esq. barrister, Hall [see note below] Brown Jeremiah miller and baker Mendham Robt. blacksmith and vict. Maid's Head Parke James vict. King's Head Farmers. Gosling John Hasell John Hook M. and J. Lambert John Large John Peck Robert (& veterinary surgeon) Steele Wm. Trollope F.
Copyright © Pat Newby.