Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: East Bradenham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BRADENHAM (EAST), a parish and scattered village, 1½ miles W. of Shipdham, and 7 miles E. by S. of Swaffham, is in Swaffham union and county court district, South Greenhoe hundred, King's Lynn bankruptcy district, South Greenhoe petty sessional division, Swaffham polling district of West Norfolk, Cranwich rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 326 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2340 acres, and has a rateable value of £3633.

The parish lies chiefly in the manors of Huntingfield Hall and East Bradenham, of which T.T. Clarke, Esq., is lord. A court is held at East Bradenham Old Hall in July. Here is also a small rectorial manor. The other principal landowners are Miss Mary Girling, Captain Henry Smith Adlington, J.P., and Herbert Tann.

The CHURCH (St. Mary) is a large edifice, comprising nave, chancel, aisles, north porch, and square tower. It was restored in 1853, and fitted with new seats, pulpit, &c. A warming apparatus was added in October 1881. A stained-glass window representing the Nativity was inserted by Captain Henry Smith Adlington, J.P., the patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Book at £12 2s. 8d., and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. Edward George Adlington Winter, M.A., who has a good residence, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £353.

The School, with teacher's residence attached, was rebuilt by subscription in 1861, and is attended by about 57 scholars.

The poor have a house and 2R. of land, bequeathed by a Mr. Green, and now let for £13 16s. a year, which is distributed in coal. The Church Land, 2A. 3R., is let to the poor in 12 allotments.

The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here.

POST from Thetford, viâ Shipdham. West Bradenham is the nearest Money Order Office.

	Basham     Samuel            farmer
	Betts      Walter            farmer; h Gateley hall
	Chapman    Robert            parish clerk
	Drury      Richard           farmer
	Forster    Miss Ellen D.     Natl. schlmstrss
	Fulcher    Thomas            land steward to Lord Londes;
	                               h Elmham park
	Fulcher    Thos.
	  & Betts    Walter          frmrs. Manor frm; East Bradenham hall
	Fulcher    William Henry     steward to Messrs. Fulcher & Betts,
	                               agent to the Royal Farmers and General
	                               Fire, Life, & Hail Insurance Co.s;
	                               h East Bradenham hall
	Goring     Walter            farmer and landowner
	Hart       Hy.               vict. Lord Nelson, & blcksmith
	Hart       William           shopkeeper
	Kemp       -                 steward to George Cordy
	Meachen    Mrs Rachael
	             Augusta         farmer
	Read       William           farmer
	Stringer   Robert            shopkeeper
	Stringer   William           miller and baker
	Wheals     Jno.              frmr. seedsman & beerhs
	Wheals     Robert            builder & wheelwright
	Winter     Rev. Edw. George
	             Adlington       The Rectory

See also the East Bradenham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
May 2007