BRADENHAM (EAST,) a parish and scattered village, 1½ mile W. of Shipdham, and 7 miles E. of Swaffham, has 368 inhabitants, and 2388 acres of land, lying chiefly in the manor of Huntinfield Hall, of which T.T. Clarke, Esq., is lord; but Thomas Adlington, Esq. is lord of East Bradenham; and here is also a small rectorial manor.
The Church (St. Mary,) is a large edifice, with a square tower; and the benefice is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12.2s.8d., and in 1831 at £298, in the gift of T. Adlington, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Smith. The church land is 2A.3R.
The parishioners have commonright on the green (5A.,) and the poor have a house and 2R. of land, bequeathed by a Mr. Green, and now let for £12 a year, which is applied with the poor-rates. There is a small Independent Chapel here, in which the Rev. James Matthews, of Shipdham officiates.
Ormesby Rev. Wm.A., M.A. curate Backler Wm. shoemkr Hart Henry vict., Lord Nelson Johnson Wm. butcher Ward John blacksmith Wheales Charles tailor Wheales Robert carpenter Whittred Robt. cooper Williams John shopkeeper farmers. Drury Richd. Hudson Simon and Wm. Fulcher Jph. Juby Joseph Goodwin Philip Hall Meachen Wm. Heyhoe Chas. and Grigson Saunders JohnThe rector has built and supports a National School in the village.
Copyright © Pat Newby.