BRACON-ASH, 6 miles S.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 293 souls and 943 acres of fertile land, mostly the property of Miss Berney and the Rev. Sir Wm. Robt. Kemp, Bart. The former resides at the Hall, a neat, modern mansion, and is lady of the manor and patroness of the Church, (St. Nicholas,) which was thoroughly repaired in 1808, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Thos. Peyton Slapp, of Old Buckenham. The tithes were commuted, in 1842, for £243. 8s. per annum.
Lord Thurlow, the celebrated Chancellor of England, was born here in 1730, and died in 1806.
The poor have a house and garden, left by Ann Woode, in 1720.
Berney Miss Eliz. Hall Cossey Ewen shopkeeper, Post Office Crisp Wm. shopkeeper [see note 1 below] Middleton Wm. shopkeeper [see note 1 below] Girling Robert butcher Maillard Parnell Robert, Esq. Mergate Hall [see note 2 below] Thirkill Mrs. Mergate Hall [see note 2 below] Norris Charles, Esq. Lodge Spurgeon Saml. bricklayer Myhill Chas. saddler Myhill Robt. glover farmers Barnes Rd. Butcher Wm. Barnard Edw. Claxton Thos. Barnard Mary Smith Eleanor Blyth Edw. Tillott John
Note 2: in the original this is:
Parnell Robert Maillard, Esq., and Mrs Thirkill, Mergate Hall
Copyright © Pat Newby.