[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BOWTHORPE is a parish on the river Yare, about 3½ miles west from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred, petty sessional division and rural district, Norwich county court district, and in the rural deanery, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich.
Of the church of St. Michael the ruined walls only remain: the churchyard has been walled in to prevent desecration. The living, formerly a donative, was, under the Benefices Act, 1898, consolidated with the vicarage of Earlham.
Mrs. Ethel May Overland is lady of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are of the usual kind. The area is 644 acres; the population in 1921 was 61.
Letters through Colney, Norwich. The nearest Money Order and Telegraph office is at Costessey.
Overland Mrs. E.M., Bowthorpe hall
Overland Trading Co. Ltd. farmers
See also the Bowthorpe parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.