Sir H.G.P. Bedingfeld, Bart., the lord of the manor, owns all the soil, except 30A. of glebe, 60A. of poor's land belonging to Oxborough, and about 350A. belonging to Richard Harwin, Esq.
The CHURCH (All Saints) has nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with three bells, and was rebuilt, except the tower, in the Early English style in 1872, at a cost of £1000, raised by subscription. The Registers date from 1729.
The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, and now having a yearly rent-charge of £418 in lieu of tithes, is in the patronage of Sir W.H. Ffolkes, Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. Smith Churchill, M.A., who has a residence, erected in 1858.
At the enclosure, land was allotted to the poor for fuel.
The handsome Gothic Wesleyan chapel and day and Sunday school adjoining was erected in 1871-2 by Richard Harwin, Esq., at a cost of £1200. The day school is attended by 50 children, and is supported by Richard Harwin, Esq., aided only by the Government grant. In the village is a large pond of clear water.
POST from Brandon, via Stoke Ferry, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office. Here is [a] Wall Letter Box, cleared at 5.15 p.m.
Churchill Rev. Smith, M.A. rector Green Cornelius farmer Harwin Richard farmer & landowner Lambert George Green beerhouse Murray Mrs Elizabeth Old Rectory Orford Reuben farmer Savage James bootmaker Smith Charles beerhouse Walkom Mrs Sarah Ann schoolmstrss Wilson Thos. frm. bailff to Mr. R. HarwinStoke Ferry is the nearest Railway Station.
See also the Boughton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.