Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Boughton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

BOUGHTON, a small scattered village, 1 mile N. of Stoke Ferry, and 6 miles E. by S. of Downham, has in its parish 209 souls, and 1,322A. 2R. 17P. of land, belonging to Sir H.R.P. Bedingfeld, Bart., the lord of the manor, except 30A. of glebe, and about 200A. belonging to Mr. Roper.

The CHURCH, (All Saints,) has a square tower and three bells. The chancel was rebuilt 40 years ago. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at 10, and now having a yearly rent of 418 in lieu of tithes. Sir W.J.H.B. Ffolkes is patron, and the Rev. George Hunt, incumbent.

At the enclosure, land was allotted to the poor for fuel.

Directory:-

	Drosier  Rev. Thos., B.A. curate
	Smith    Saml.            vict., Bell
	Cooper   David            shoemaker
	Deady    Geo.             shopkeeper
	Harpley  Danl.            gamekeeper

	   farmers

	Roper    William
	Steward  Edward, Simeon
	           and Wm.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

See also the Boughton parish page.

Copyright Pat Newby.
May 2002