BODNEY parish has only one house and a few cottages, on the east side of a rivulet, 7 miles S. of Swaffham. It contains 117 inhabitants, and 2605 acres of land, all belonging to Lord Ashburton, who has rebuilt many of the cottages and farm premises, and otherwise considerably improved the estate.
The large farm-house is occupied by Mr. Wm. Sutton, who farms the whole parish. It stands near the site of the old Hall, which was taken down many years ago, and was at one time the tranquil retreat of the nuns of Montargis, among whom Eloise Adelaide de Bourbon, daughter of the Prince of Conde, took the veil here on July 9th, 1803.
The Church is a small ancient fabric, of flint and pebbles, and is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 7s. 8d., and consolidated with Great Cressingham.
POST from Swaffham, via Hilborough.
Copyright © Pat Newby.