Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Bodham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

BODHAM, near the source of the small river Glaven, 3 miles E. of Holt, is a parish in Erpingham union, Holt county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Holt petty sessional division, Holt hundred, Holt polling district of North Norfolk, Holt rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 302 inhabitants in the year 1881, living on 1640 acres, and has a rateable value of 2083, and a gross estimated rental of 2329 5s. The soil belongs chiefly to John T. Mott, Esq., who is lord of the manor.

The CHURCH (All Saints) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and square embattled tower, with one bell. The east window contains some beautiful stained glass, representing the Nativity, the Crucifixion, and the Ascension, inserted in 1859, by subscription, in memory of the late rector's wife. Outside the entrance door is a holy water stoup.

John T. Mott, Esq., is patron of the discharged rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at 9, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. John George Bidewell, M.A., who has a yearly tithe rent-charge of 375, and 12 acres of glebe. A rectory house was built in 1866.

The United Methodists have a chapel here, erected in 1866.

A SCHOOL BOARD for the parishes of West Beckham and Bodham was established in 1875, and consists of the Rev. George Bidewell, M.A., chairman, J.H. Pain, C. Rackham, John Everett, and B.B. Barcham. Mr J. Kemp, of East Runton, is the clerk. The SCHOOL, built in 1876, at a cost of 1300, has accommodation for seventy scholars.

The poor have 20s. a year, left by Thomas Franke in 1669, out of Bodham Heath, which was enclosed in 1808.

POST OFFICE at Mr. R.G. Payne's. Letters from Holt, via East Dereham, arrive at 9.15 a.m., and depart at 3.10 p.m.

	Barrett     James            farmer
	Beavers     William          farmer
	Bidewell    Rev. John
	              George, M.A.   rector, Rectory
	Bird        Richard          farmer; h Old Buckenham
	Bird        Samuel           farmer
	Chapman     Richard          farmer
	Cletheroe   William          vict Red Hart Inn, & joiner, builder,
	                               wheelwright, agricultural implement
	                               maker, farmer, and agent for G.E.R.
	                               parcels and receiving offices
	Culley      George           farmer
	Everitt     Mrs Sarah        farmer & owner
	Grant       Christopher      farmer and carter
	Girling     Mrs Sarah Ann    farmer; h Baconsthorpe
	Keeler      John             farmer and carter
	Knight      James            gamekeeper
	Learner     William Helsden  farmer
	Nichols     Starling         farmer
	Pain        John Harold      farmer, surveyor, and guardian
	Payne       Robert Gamble    grocer, draper and postmaster
	Pearson     John             bricklayer
	Penteney    George           parish clerk
	Rackham     Charles          farmer
	Riseborough John & Son       blacksmiths, ironfounders, machinists,
	                               implement makers, &c. and at Weybourn
	Sadler      Joshua           farmer
	Sadler      Miss Mary Brett  Board schoolmistress
	Thirtle     Richard          farmer
	West        Mrs Hannah       farmer

See also the Bodham parish page.

Copyright Pat Newby.
October 2001