BLOFIELD, a large village and parish, is in Blofield union, Norwich county court district and bankruptcy district, Blofield petty sessional division and hundred, Blofield polling district of South Norfolk, Blofield rural deanery and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 1136 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 2335 acres of land. Its rateable value is £5562.
It is pleasantly situated on the Yarmouth turnpike, one mile N. of Brundall railway station, and 7 miles E. of Norwich. Mrs. Burroughes of Burlingham Hall is lady of the manor, which was held by the Bishop till about the year 1070. C.E. Tuck, Esq., W.H. Jary, Esq., W.L. Cooke, Esq., Thos. Slipper, Esq., are the principal landowners, and here are several small freeholders.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a spacious building of the Perpendicular period, and consists of nave with aisles, chancel, north porch, vestry (built by the late rector), and fine square tower. The latter contains six bells, and is surmounted by figures of the four Evangelists. The nave and aisles are separated by quatrefoil columns, supporting handsome arches. In 1880 the low flat ceiling which partially concealed the arches of the tower and chancel, was replaced by a new and handsome roof, and the windows in the nave and aisles, which had been blocked up, were re-opened. The east window is very plain, but there is a fine Perpendicular window in the tower. The chancel screen is finely painted, and has figures of the twelve Apostles upon its panels. In the chancel is a piscina, and the font is curiously carved with scenes from the life of our Saviour.
Here are tablets of the Carlos, Berry, Borton, Deneau, and Saul families; and one with kneeling figures of Edward Paston, Esq., his wife, and nine children. The arms of the Paston and Catlyn families still remain on the heads of their stalls.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £23 6s. 8d., and now at £1050, is in the patronage of Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. James Percy Garrick, M.A., who has a good residence, which was rebuilt in 1806. The tithes were commuted in 1845 for £974 7s. 6d., and the glebe is 61A. 3R. 22P.
The PARTICULAR BAPTISTS have a small chapel here which they purchased of the Wesleyans, about 1852. There is a mission room belonging to Miss A.A. Cameron, which is also used as a Sunday School.
The school house and garden were given in 1727 by the Rev. Charles Reeve, who left out of his estate at Halvergate the following yearly rent-charges, viz.:- £10 to the schoolmaster, for teaching poor children; 52s. for a weekly distribution of 1s. worth of bread; 40s. for distribution on Whitsunday; and 35s. for clothing three poor widows at Christmas. The school became obsolete on the establishment of the School Board in 1876, and a new scheme for the management of the charity has recently been issued by the Charity Commissioners. The School Board now consists of the Rev. Jas. P. Garrick, M.A. (chairman), Edward Gilbert, Esq., W.L. Cooke, Esq., Messrs. R.D. Rix, and John Ferra. Herbert H. Cole, Esq., of Norwich, is clerk to the board. Two Board Schools were built in 1877, at a cost of £3100, the central school has an attendance of about 120 mixed scholars, and there is a smaller school at Hemblington, which was enlarged in 1880 at a cost of £190.
The Poor's Land, 37A. 29P., allotted at the enclosure in 1805, is let for £60 a year, which is distributed in coal. The poor have also a yearly rent-charge of £2, left by a Mr. Buttifant, out of land now belonging to W.H. Jary, Esq.
Petty Sessions are held at the Globe Inn, every alternate Monday.
Here is a Rifle Corps, with about 70 members. It was established in 1860, Major John Harman Brown, captain; John Edward Cooke, and Henry Hooke, lieutenants; the corps now use the Norwich range.
Blofield Union Workhouse is situated at Lingwood (which see).
POST, MONEY ORDER, AND TELEGRAPH OFFICE at Mr. John Wright's. Letters arrive at 5.30 a.m., and are despatched at 5.30 p.m., viâ Norwich.
Bacon James shoemaker Bailey John shoemaker Banton William victualler, Swan Bolingbroke Louis Errington solicitor, Norwich, The Elms Broom John beerhouse Brown Mr John Harman Cameron Miss Alice Amelia Clarke James shoemaker Coleman Misses Annie, Ruth and Mary Cooke Willm. Larke wine and spirit merchant and farmer Curtis John joiner and builder Deeks Arthur E. master of Hemblington Board School Earl John brazier & chimney sweeper Easter George blacksmith Edrich William Skipp farmer Farman Mrs. Mary Browne saddler and harness maker Fenn Charles farmer Ferra John news-agent, mineral oil and lamp dealer Fisher William grocer and draper Garrick Rev. James Percy, M.A. rector Gilbert Edward, Esq. J.P. farmer Grapes William farm bailiff Hall Mrs Harriet Harper Daniel Hubbard plumber, glazier, and painter Harper George shoemaker Howard Hammond Lily fishmonger Howes James shoe maker Kidd Robert Bohun, M.R.C.S., L.A.C. surgeon to Blofield Union Lynes James Day vict. King's Head, and posting house Lynes Mr Joseph Macdonald Mr Peter Mace Mrs Harriet Martins Charles victualler, Globe Inn Morris Henry cowkeeper, Bay Bridge Mower George Board schoolmaster Mower Miss Martha Board schlmistress Newby Daniel tailor Overed John Davy, cattle inspector for Blofield hundred M.R.C.V.S. under contagious disease of animals Act, and sanitary inspector; agent for Norwich Union Fire Office Packer Mrs Phœbe The Beeches Postle Miss Gertrude dressmaker Read Robert shoemaker Redgment Wright butcher and farmer Reynolds Noah farmer Reynolds Joshua farmer, Heath farm Rix Herbert shopkeeper Rix Robert victualler, Two Friends Rogers Francis corn-miller Rogers William corn-miller Rope George market gardener Royal Albert relieving officer and registr. of births, deaths, & marriages Saddler Alfred tailor Saddler Mrs Mary Ann shopkeeper Sayer Elijah vermin destroyer Setchell Thos. Wm. grocer and baker Slipper Thomas farmer, Church Farm; h Ludham Steward Mr Philip Stockings Hy. Bane joiner & wheelwrt Stockings Mrs Sarah Symonds Samuel shopkeeper Thackeray Rev. Arthur curate Thirtle Robert vict. Bird-in-Hand Tuck Algernon Devereux solicitor, Norwich; h The Grove Ward Randall sexton Waters Cornelius market gardener Waters James farmer White George clock cleaner Withers John bricklayer Withers John builder and contractor Wright Jon. grocer & sub-postmaster Woodcock James plumber, glazier, and painter Woodrow John blacksmith & farmer Woolsey Hy. Ed. farmer, The Rookery Worm Miss Mary Elizth. Rose VillaCarriers from Acle, Martham, and South Walsham, to Norwich, pass through on Mon., Wed., and Sat.; and conveyances to and from Blundall [sic] Station, distance one mile, in connection with all trains, from the King's Head.
Copyright © Pat Newby.