Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Blo Norton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BLO' NORTON was anciently called Norton Bell'eau, from its being situated near the fair stream of the Little Ouse, is in Guiltcross union and hundred, Diss county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, and East Harling polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 243 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1132 acres, and has a rateable value of £1798 10s.

C.B. Goldson, Esq., is lord of the manor, which formerly belonged to the manor of Ely; was granted to William de la Shore, and in 1288 to William de Blow Norton. The present Manor House, erected in 1585, and anciently surrounded by a moat enclosing about seven acres, is now the residence of the rector. The soil belongs to several proprietors. A gold ring and part of an ancient wooden dish, inlaid with mother of pearl, were found here some years ago, on the site of the old manor house of Seymers, which was formerly the seat of the Bramptons, and was burnt down before 1580.

The CHURCH (St. Andrew), a small fabric, with a tower containing five bells, was restored in 1876-9 at a cost of about £700. A stained glass window was inserted in 1876 at the east end by C.B. Goldson and his sister, and the piscina and two sedilia still exist. The Registers date from 1574. Another CHURCH (St. Margaret) stood near St. Andrew's, but was taken down in 1394.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 6s. 3d., is in the patronage of C.B. Goldson, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. George Norris, B.A., who was appointed in 1878, and who resides at the Hall, an ancient mansion near the river. The tithes were commuted in 1838 for £330 per annum.

The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel in the parish. Here is a small National School. The poor cut turf on the Fuel Allotment, 20 acres, awarded at the enclosure in 1822, when the Parish Land was augmented to 18 acres, let for about £25, which is applied with the church and poor rates.

POST, viâ Thetford and East Harling, arrives at 8.30 a.m. Box cleared at 5.5 p.m.; Sundays 10.15 a.m. Hopton is the nearest Money Order Office, and Garboldisham the nearest Telegraph Office.

	Bowell    Jph.              farmer, Button's place
	Bowell    George            farmer
	Bryant    John              farmer & cattle dealer
	Chenery   Aaron             cottager & freeholder
	Chenery   John              farmer, Glebe lands
	Chenery   Solomon           hay dealer
	Crowe     Malleward         frmr. & landowner, Church farm,
	                              and at North Lopham
	Davy      Thomas            farmer & landowner; h Garboldisham
	Eavis     Henry             parish clerk and sexton
	Fisher    Elijah            farmer, Fen farm
	Goodchild Mrs Mary          clothes dealer
	Holden    Henry             farmer, Clay hall
	Holden    Jeremiah          beerhouse
	Norris    Rev. George, B.A. rector, The Hall
	Notley    James             grocer & general dealer
	Notley    Mrs Susanna       victualler, Crown & Anchor
	Sterry    Castle            farmer
	Sturgeon  Thos.             bricklayer and farmer
	Taylor    Mrs John          farmer

See also the Blo Norton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
February 2005