Norfolk: Blo Norton
See Norfolk Parish Links
for more information about this parish.
Search Genuki Norfolk for a NAME or a PLACE or a TOPIC.
What's New in Genuki Norfolk.
Blo Norton is about 7 miles W. of Diss.
The name may also be spelled Blo' Norton, Blo-Norton,
Blow Norton and Blonorton.
It is also known as Norton Bell'eau.
See also Blofield.
See Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Censuses
- In 1883 the parish was in the
Deanery of Rockland, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both
before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
Nearby Churches of all denominations.
- Church of St Andrew
- Description and pictures.
- Church of St Andrew
- Services, etc.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837
and 1902 (and for the censuses of 1851 to 1901), Blo Norton was in
Guiltcross Registration District.
This district was abolished on 1st April 1902 and, from then until 1930,
Blo Norton was in
Thetford Registration District
for civil registration.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration
Description and Travel
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel
- Blo Norton Parish Council
- Councillors, meetings, etc.
- Blo Norton Post Mill
- Description and history.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
Blo Norton is in Guiltcross Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Guiltcross Hundred
- Description of Guiltcross Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
Land and Property
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property
- Blo Norton Hall
- Description, history and pictures.
- Duleep Singh, Frederick, Prince
- An account of Blo Norton Hall, otherwise the Manor House of
Brome Hall in Blo Norton.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society,
in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.18, 1914]
- Great Britain: Statute
- Blo Norton Inclosure Act, 1820.
An act for inclosing lands within the parish of Blo Norton, in
the county of Norfolk.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1820]
- Modern and Historical Maps
- Maps of the parish.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Military Records
- Roll of Honour
- World War 1.
Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the
10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there
were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures
above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1861 Census
- "GUILTCROSS. The decrease of population in most of the parishes
of this District is attributed partly to the migration of
labourers to towns and manufacturing districts. In some parishes
it has also been consequent upon the failure of hand-loom
See Norfolk Parish Links: Voting Registers
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby.