BLAKENEY, a small sea port, 4¼ miles N.W. by N. of Holt, and nearly a mile W. of Cley, has in its parish 1021 inhabitants, and 988 acres of land, mostly the property of Lord Calthorpe, the lord of the manor. It was anciently called Snitterley, and much frequented by German merchants. Henry III. granted it a market, which has long been obsolete, but it still enjoys a considerable trade in malt, corn, coal, &c., and was once a noted fishing station.
The town is above a mile from the beach, but has a good harbour or creek, which winds to the sea by a circuitous route of four miles, and was much improved under an act passed in 1817, so that vessels of 150 tons can now get up to the wharfs, where the spring tides rise about ten feet. (For Custom House, see Cley.)
Here was a Friary of Carmelites, founded in the 24th of Edward I., by Richard and John Stormer and Thomas Thober, and granted at its dissolution to Wm. Rede. In this monastery was educated that eccentric character, John de Baconsthorpe. Some portions of the boundary wall of the Friary still remain, on a declivity south of the CHURCH (St. Nicholas,) which has a lofty tower, serving as a sea-mark. At the north-east corner of the chancel is a high turret, said to have been formerly used as a lighthouse.
The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £26. 13s. 4d., and is consolidated with Cockthorpe, Glandford, and Langham Parva. The Rev. Joseph Cotterill, M.A., is incumbent, and Lord Calthorpe is patron. The joint benefices were valued in 1831 at £506 per annum. The rector has here a good residence, 7A. 1R. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £170, in lieu of tithes.
The Wesleyans have a small chapel here; and adjoining the churchyard is a National School, built in 1825.
The Poor's Land, 3A., in Morston, let for £4, was given to this parish, in 1694, by Wm. Styleman, in satisfaction of a rent-charge of 20s., left by an unknown donor. A yearly rent-charge of 12s., for distributions of coal, left by Robt. Bassett, in 1693, is paid out of Lord Calthorpe's estate. The interest of £24, left by Chpr. Ringer, is distributed in cloth or blankets. An old building, called the Guild Hall, with a vault capable of holding 60 chaldrons of coal, has belonged to the poor from an early period, and is now let for £4. 4s. a year.
The POST OFFICE is at Mrs. Ann Wells's, where letters arrive at ¼ before one, and are despatched at ¼ before two afternoon.
Barnes Stephen hair dresser, druggist, and stationer Bond Henry glazier, painter, &c Boorne Mrs Mary Cawston John sail maker Cotterill Rev. Joseph, M.A. Rectory Cragg James Baptist minister Crofts Eliz. Frankling Felix baker Haythorn Rev. F. curate Howard Edward butcher Jary Jas. clock and watch maker Jickling Francis A. clerk Kennedy Wm. bricklayer Pond Wm. brazier, smith, & ironmgr Sands John butcher Sparham James farmer Thompson Sarah beer seller Waller Edward bricklayer Whisker Thomas C. beer seller Wilson Thomas saddler, &c INNS AND PUBLIC HOUSES. Carroway Richard Calthorpe Arms Easter John King's Head Fitt Bennington Ship Storey Ann White Horse MERCHANTS. - (* are Maltsters.) * Brereton Robert John, & Randall Cook Wm. and R. (& Glandford) Starling John (and miller) * Temple Wm. and Charles Academies. Master Mariners. Beart Wm. Ellis Henry Newton Richd. Lane Miles Storey Eleanor May James Whittall Job Porter Wm. Shaul Thomas Grocers & Drprs. Shoemakers. Doyle Wm. Billing John Bullock Richd. (& baker) Doughty James Leatherdale Wm. Mayes Robert Newton Daniel Mountain Wm. Porter Robert Tyrrell Henry Wells Ann Joiners and Wheelwrights. Tailors. Allcock James Jordan Wm. Butters John Mallett Henry Dixon Henry Sands Richard Howes Richard Newland Wm.
CARRIER. John Miller, to Norwich, Tues. & Friday
Copyright © Pat Newby.