BIXLEY is a parish, 2½ miles S.S.W. of Norwich, in Henstead union, Norwich county court district, and bankruptcy district, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Henstead hundred, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 160 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 760 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £1434. Lord Rosebery is lord of the manor for Framingham-Earl and Bixley, and nearly all the land and property belongs to Miss Primrose. Bixley Hall, a handsome mansion with three fronts, is now occupied by Mrs. Martin.
The CHURCH (St. Wandragesilius the Abbot) was built by William de Dunwich, in 1272, and is a small plain building, comprising nave and chancel under one roof, and a western tower with one bell. Most of the windows and the south doorway are Early English, but some of the windows with the tower are Perpendicular. The church was restored in 1863, and fitted with open seats, pulpit, reading desk, lectern, and chancel screen of oak; and a neat stained-glass window was placed in the south wall of the nave by Samuel Base, Esq. Here is a fine marble monument to Susan, Countess of Rosebery, who died in 1771. Here are also several fine monuments of the Ward family: one of them, dated 1583, represents Edward Ward, Esq., his wife, and nine sons and three daughters.
The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and now at £600, with that of Framingham-Earl annexed to it, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Turner, M.A., who has here 25A. of glebe.
LETTERS viâ Norwich, which is the nearest Telegraph Office, but Trowse is the nearest Post and Money Order Office.
Birkbeck Henry, jun. banker (Gurney, Birkbecks, Barclay & Buxton, Norwich) Hannent Alfred market gardener Martin Mrs Susannah C. Bixley hall Moggs James farmer Rix George parish clerk Savage Robert farmer, Mill house Seaman George market gardener Stroyan Robert farmer and cattle dealer, Park farmCARRIERS from Bungay to Norwich pass through daily
Copyright © Pat Newby.