BIXLEY parish, 2½ miles S.S.W. of Norwich, has 110 inhabitants, and 639 acres of land, of which 160 acres belong to the Corporation of Norwich, and nearly all the rest to the Earl of Rosebery, the lord of the manor. Bixley Hall, a handsome mansion, with three fronts, is now occupied by Wm. Martin, Esq.
The Church (St. Wandragesilius the Abbot,) is a small antique fabric, with a low tower. It was built by Wm. de Dunwich, in 1272, and has several monuments to the Ward family.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and in 1831 at £608, with that of Framlingham-Earl annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Bowman, of Norwich, and patronage of J. Brereton, Esquire.
Coleman Geo. Lovick (draper, at Norwich,) Bixley Lodge Martin Wm., Esq. Hall Patterson James wheelwright Clare Chas. miller, &c. farmers. Gowing Geo. Parker Geo. Seaman Wm. Sowter James
Copyright © Pat Newby.