The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a small plain structure, consisting only of a nave and a square tower containing one bell, and surmounted by a small wooden spire. The entrance is now at the west end, through the tower, the old north and south doorways being walled up. There was originally a chancel, the site of which may be distinctly traced. The only window in the body of the church is an ugly round-headed one, inserted in the east wall of the nave. The Registers date from 1722.
The Marquis of Cholmondeley is patron of the living. The discharged rectory is consolidated with that of Bircham Newton, and the rector has here 32A. of glebe, and a yearly tithe rent-charge of £221 16s.
The children attend the school at Great Bircham.
POST from Lynn. Docking is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office and Railway Station.
Johnson Thomas farm bailiff Taylor Robt. basket maker & farmer Wharton Thomas farmer, Pond hs
See also the Bircham Tofts parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.