The CHURCH (All Saints) is a small plain structure, apparently of the Early Decorated period, and has a nave, chancel, and square tower with one bell. The interior is coloured, and was re-pewed in a very rough manner in 1858, at a cost of £50. The chancel contains a piscina and a full-length effigy of a priest in his robes. About 1834, during some alterations, the remains of a man and a child were found beneath this effigy, but whether they had any connection with the monument or not it is impossible to say. The Registers date from 1744.
The living is a rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £14 6s. 8d., and is now consolidated with that of Bircham-Tofts, in the patronage of the Marquis of Cholmondeley, and incumbency of the Rev. E.F.E. Hankinson, M.A., who has here 47½A. of glebe, a good residence, and a tithe rent-charge of £227 12s. per annum.
The children attend the school at Great Bircham, which is supported by the lord of this manor.
POST from Lynn. Docking is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office and Railway Station.
Hankinson Rev. Edward Francis Edwards, M.A. rector, The Rectory Matthews Robert farmer Osborne Edward parish clerk Roye Stphn. shpkpr. coal dlr. & cartownr Wright Charles Edward farmer
See also the Bircham Newton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.