BIRCHAM, (GREAT) a village and parish, on the Burnham road, 14 miles N.E. of Lynn, has 511 inhabitants, and 3,542 acres of land, of which a part is sheep walk, and 246A. are in woods and plantations. The Marquis of Cholmondeley is owner of the soil and lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (St. Mary,) on an eminence, has a fine tower at the west end, containing five bells. It is a handsome structure, very indifferently pewed; and during the progress of some recent repairs, three piscinas were discovered. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £22, and in 1831 at £527, has about 70 acres of glebe. Anthony Hamond, Esq., is the patron, and the Rev. Wm. Pratt, B.A., of Harpley, incumbent. In 1740, an act of Parliament was passed for confirming and establishing an exchange between the lord of the manor and the rector, and for enclosing the commons.
A Free School, for the poor children of the three Bircham parishes, was built in 1842, by the Marquis Cholmondeley, who also supports two small preparatory schools, and partly clothes the scholars, of whom, about 80 attend the principal school.
Anderson Henry vict., King's Head Drage John grocer, &c.,(& Rudham) Grief Thomas tailor, Post Office Groome John blacksmith Humphrey Mrs. corn miller Kitton Robert grocer, &c. Lack James machine maker Livock John James Free School mstr. Parnell Henry grocer and draper Shildrake Thomas shoemaker Shilling John blacksmith Spooner Robert wheelwright Tovell Susanna joiner, &c. Wilson Rev. Wm. Davis, A.M. curate FARMERS. Beck Anthony Hebgin Thomas Kitton John Nelson MatthewPOST from Rougham, daily
Copyright © Pat Newby.