BINTREE, or BINTRY, on an eminence, 6 miles W. by N. of Reepham, is a village and parish, containing 409 souls, and 1455A. 28P. of land, mostly the property of Lady J. Townshend, (who has a neat residence here called Yarrow House,) Lord Hastings, T. Robson, Esq., and the Earl of Leicester. The latter is lord of the manor, which was purchased by Lord Chief Justice Coke, in 1608, for £625.
The Church (St. Swithin,) is an ancient fabric, but the chancel was rebuilt in 1806. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, has 13A. 3R. of glebe, and the yearly rent of £418. 7s. 4d. awarded in 1844, in lieu of tithes. It is united with that of Themelthorpe (£135 per annum, and 19A. of glebe,) in the gift of Lord Hastings, and incumbency of the Rev. Augustus Dashwood, of Thornage.
The Fuel Allotment, 16A. 39P., awarded at the enclosure in 1797, is let for £25. 8s. a year, which is distributed in coals. The Town Lands, which had been long vested in trust for the church and poor, were exchanged at the enclosure for 19A. 2R. 38P., let for £22 a year, and a house and 2R. 36P. of land, occupied rent-free by poor families. A legacy of £10, left to the poor by Thomas Lynn, was laid out in building a coal shed.
Townshend Lady Jas. Yarrow Hse Austin Thomas butcher and vict. Half Moon Baker John shopkeeper Barlow Wm., M.A. curate Burrell Wm. miller Doughty Robert blacksmith Forster John baker & flour dealer Gould John joiner, &c Hook Mr Jno. Smith Robert vict. Royal Oak FARMERS. Shoemakers. Cook Dennis Bradfield Wm. Cooper Edmund Prior Wm. Cooper Mrs Smith Robert Knights Robert Smith Thomas Harrison Robert Sawyer Eliz. Wrightup Thos.
COACH, &c. to Norwich, Mon., Wed., and Sat.
Copyright © Pat Newby.