Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: West Bilney

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BILNEY (WEST) is a small village, pleasantly situated on and near the Swaffham turnpike, 7½ miles E.S.E. of Lynn, in Freebridge Lynn union and hundred, King's Lynn county court and bankruptcy district, petty sessional division, Lynn (Norfolk) rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry, and Lynn polling district of West Norfolk. It had 223 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2750 acres, and has a rateable value of £2635.

The West Bilney Hall estate, situate in the parishes of West Bilney, Pentney and Wormegay, belongs to R. Henry Household, Esq., J.P., who resides at the Hall - a handsome residence, with extensive grounds and a well-timbered park, having also about 150 acres of plantations. The rest of the land belongs to John and Ed. R. Brasnett, Esqs., the latter of whom is lord of the manor.

The CHURCH (St. Cecilia) comprises only nave and tower, the chancel being entirely gone. There is one bell, and the font is of the Perpendicular period and ornamented with quatrefoils. On the south wall is a marble tablet in memory of several members of the Dalton family. In 1881 the church was repewed with open seats, the communion table raised, and encaustic tiles laid within the rail of the pro-chancel; also a new pulpit, reading desk, and lectern added, at a cost of over £100.

Edward Rowing Brasnett, Esq., is patron of the perpetual curacy, certified at £20 per annum, paid by the lord of the manor, but augmented, from 1762 to 1817, with £800 of Queen Anne's Bounty, of which £429 14s. remains at interest, and the rest was laid out in the purchase of 13½ acres of land. It is now valued at £60 a year, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. John Samuel Broad, M.A., who is also vicar of Pentney, where he resides.

The National School for Bilney and Pentney was built in 1833 and since enlarged; there is a residence for master attached. There are about 100 children on the books, and the average attendance is about 80.

Car stone, containing 23 per cent. of iron, is found in this parish.

POST from Lynn arrives at 8.30 a.m. PILLAR LETTER BOX, cleared at 4.30 p.m. No Sunday. East Winch and Narborough are the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Offices and Railway Stations.

	Brasnett  Edward Rowing      farmer and landowner, West Bilney house
	Brasnett  John               farmer and landowner, Ivy lodge
	Brasnett  Mr Horace E.
	Curl      Henry              parish clerk and sexton
	Hammond   Richard            blacksmith, wheelwright and shopkeeper
	Household Rbt Hy Esq., J.P.  W Bilney hl
	Hurn      Amos               farmer
	Martin    Luther Martin      National schoolmaster, School house

From ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS on pages 13-16:

The first sentence should be:

" ... in Freebridge Lynn union, petty sessional division and hundred, King's Lynn county court and bankruptcy district, Lynn (Norfolk) rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry, and Lynn polling district of West Norfolk."


See also the West Bilney parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 2009