BILNEY (WEST) is a small scattered village, with several neat houses, pleasantly situated on and near the Swaffham turnpike, 7½ miles E.S.E. of Lynn; comprising in its parish 298 inhabitants, and about 2,400 acres of land, including 150 acres of plantations, all belonging to John Dalton, Esq., the lord of the manor, and patron of the Church, which is dedicated to St. Cecilia, and is a curacy, certified at £20 per annum, paid by the lord of the manor, but augmented from 1762 to 1817, with £800 of Queen Anne's bounty, of which £429 14s. remain at interest, and the rest was laid out in 13½ acres of land. It was valued in 1831 at £60, and the Rev. Samuel Spencer is the incumbent.
Bilney Lodge, a handsome mansion embowered in vigorous plantations, is occupied by T.M. Wythe, jun., Esq. The National School for Bilney and Pentney, was built in 1833, by subscription.
Dalton John, Esq. Wythe T.M., Esq. Lodge Hammond Richd. blacksmith Dorman Thos. parish clerk farmers Crisp John Gayford William Spink Abraham
Copyright © Pat Newby.