Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Billockby

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BILLOCKBY, 8½ miles N.W. of Yarmouth, is a small parish in E. and W. Flegg incorporation, West Flegg hundred, East and West Flegg petty sessional division, Yarmouth county court district and bankruptcy district, Ormsby [sic] polling district of North Norfolk, diocese of Norwich, Flegg rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.

The rateable value in 1883 was £808, and the gross estimated rental was £879. It had 66 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises about 380 acres of land, belonging to Daniel Spurrel, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The Rev. H.J. Muskett has land here.

The CHURCH (All Saints) is in ruins, except the chancel. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £2 8s. 9d., was augmented in 1780 and 1792 with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The Rev. Charles John Lucas, M.A., of Burgh, is patron and incumbent. The tithes have been commuted for £147 10s. per annum.

The Poor's Allotment, 4A. 1R. 30P. was awarded at the enclosure in 1804, and is now let for £15 per annum.

POST from Yarmouth, via Burgh.

	Culley  Charles  farmer and overseer, Hall farm
	Gown    Robert   farmer
	Manship George   farmer, overseer and surveyor; h Clippesby
	Tooley  Robert   farmer

See also the Billockby parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2004