Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Billockby

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BILLOCKBY, 8½ miles N.W. of Yarmouth, is a small parish, with only 71 inhabitants, and about 380 acres of land, belonging to Robt. Joy, Esq., and the Misses Browne, the former of whom is lord of the manor.

The Church (All Saints) is in ruins, except the chancel, and is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £2. 8s. 9d., and in 1831, at £100. It was augmented in 1780, and 1792, with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The Rev. Wm. Lucas, M.A., is patron and incumbent. The tithes have been commuted for £147. 10s. per annum.

The Poor's Allotment, 4A. 1R. 30P., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1804.

Directory:-

	Barwood  George    shopkeeper
	Barwood  Jph.      farmer
	Rushmer  Joshua    farmer
	Gibbs    Alfred    farmer
The latter occupies the Manor House.
Note: the format of the directory has been changed.
See also the Billockby parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2004