BILLINGFORD, alias PYRLESTON, on the north side of the vale of the Waveney, 4 miles E. of Diss, has in its parish 219 souls, and about 1000 acres of land, mostly belonging to Geo. St. Vincent Wilson, Esq., lord of the manor and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Augustus Cooper, B.A., of Syleham. The glebe is 20A. 2R. 13P., and the tithes were commuted in 1842, for £296. 10s. per annum. The Church (St. Leonard,) had formerly a square tower.
Here was a hospital, with 13 beds for travellers, founded by Wm. Beck, in the reign of Henry III. Martha Brighton died here in 1844, aged 101 years. Major Loftus has a farm of 80A. in this parish.
The poor have £2 a year out of the Hall farm, left by an unknown donor; and 5s. a year left by the Rev. John Bryers, in 1717, out of a cottage.
Balls James blacksmith Bacon Clement miller Bartram Robt. beer seller Catling Simon tailor Cobb Geo. vict. Horse Shoes Cousens Mr. Samuel Ellis Wm. shoemaker Haynes Lionel grocer and wheelwrgt. King Geo. shoemaker Ralph Richard maltster farmers. Bales Robt. Bartram Saml. and Jas. Blomfield J., Executors of Cracknell J. Drake Francis and James Goddard Robert
See also the Billingford near Diss parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.