BILLINGFORD, a village and parish on the east side of the vale of the Wensum, 6 miles W. by S. of Reepham, has 353 inhabitants, and 1797A. of land. The Earl of Leicester owns most of the soil, and is lord of the manor, and patron of the Church, which has an octangular tower and one bell. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 10s., and has 27A. 2R. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £365. 10s., awarded in 1840, in lieu of tithes. The Rev. Thos. A. Anson, B.A., is the incumbent.
A National School was built here by subscription in 1844. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel in the village.
Beck Hall, which gives name to a large farm extending into the parishes of Bylaugh and Foxley, stands on the site of an hospital for poor travellers, founded by Wm. de Beck, at an early period. Bedlam House, which gives name to another farm, was built about 22 years ago, on the site of a tumulus, in which were found a Roman urn, and a variety of petrified shells and other fossils.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded under an act of the 46th Geo. III., is 50A., on which the poor cut whins, &c., and let the herbage for about £25. They have also the interest of £5, left by Mr. Ruggs.
Anson Rev Thos. A., B.A. Rectory Allison Wm. shoemaker Bunn James butcher Capps Jemima shopkeeper Dack Wm. carpenter and par. clerk Emerson John carpenter and vict. Three Tuns Good Philip maltster, brewer, and vict. Bell Leeds Jno. Parmeter, Esq. Beck Hall Leveridge John baker Long Wm. corn miller Millett James blacksmith Wightman Thomas gentleman FARMERS. Bear Rt. (to J.B. Gill, Esq.) Freeman George Hartt Jas. Bedlam House Harvey Burton (to J.P. Leeds) Leeder Cullum Sharman John Wilson John Wightman Freeman
See also the Billingford near East Dereham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.