[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BEXWELL parish, 1½ mile E. of Downham, has only 94 inhabitants, and 1177 acres of land, belonging to Sir Thos. Hare, Bart., Mrs. Doyle, and the Rev. Jermyn Pratt, the latter of whom is lord of the manor.
The Church (St. Mary) is a small edifice, chiefly of carstone, with a tower, round at the base and octagonal above, containing one bell. In 1854 it was restored, refloored with coloured tiles, and fitted with neat portable benches. The pulpit is of Caen stone, and has in front an alabaster carving of Christ carrying the Cross. In the churchyard is a stone recording the death of the wife of a former parish clerk, at the age of 106 years.
The discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 11s. 8d., is in the patronage of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. Edw. John Howman, M.A., who has 48 acres of glebe, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £345, and a pleasantly situated residence, which he enlarged in 1842.
The poor have 6A. of land. Mr. John Kendle Cooke is the only farmer, and occupies the Hall. POST from Downham.
See also the Bexwell parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.