Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Besthorpe

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BESTHORPE is a parish of dispersed houses, within 1 mile E. of Attleborough, containing 536 inhabitants, and 2132A. of land, mostly the property of the Earl of Winterton, the lord of the manor, impropriator of the rectorial tithes, and patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 6s. 10½d., and now enjoyed by the Hon. and Rev. A.A. Turnour, with 35A. of glebe. The tithes have been commuted for the yearly payment of £255 each to the vicar and impropriator.

The CHURCH (All Saints) is cruciform, and has a lofty square tower.

The Fuel Allotment, 15A. 1R. 23P., was awarded at the enclosure in 1806, and is let, with 4A. 3R. 16P. of Town Land, for £23. 5s. a year, which is distributed in coals.

The ancient Hall, now a farm-house, was a seat of the Drury family.

DIRECTORY:

	Cook    John              vict., Square and Compass
	Lovett  Robt.             miller
	Palmer  Dd.               miller
	Wiggett J.                blacksmith
	White   Rt.               shopkeeper

	                farmers.

	Barker  Thos.             Palmer  Wm.
	Brown   Thos.             Pyman   Jph.
	Clarke  Wm.               Raynor  John
	Cook    Edward            Rose    Samuel
	Cowles  Robt.             Spruce  Mrs. J.
	Howes   A., Exors. of     Turner  J.
	Johnson Mrs.              Warren  John
	Limmer  Edward, Esq.,     Wright  S., Exors. of
	          (Hall)          Vince   Jacob

See also the Besthorpe parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2004