BESSINGHAM, 8 miles N.N.W. of Aylsham, and 5 miles S.S.W. of Cromer, is in Erpingham union, Holt county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, North Erpingham hundred, and petty sessional division, Aldborough polling district of North Norfolk, Repps rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry.
It had 1568 inhabitants in 1881, living on 508 acres, and has a rateable value of about £900. About 300 acres belong to Mr. Daniel Spurrell, of the Hall, a red brick mansion, entirely rebuilt in 1870.
W.H. Scott, Esq., of Aylsham, is lord of the manor, and the trustees of Mr. Armstrong are patrons of the living, which is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4 6s. 8d., and now in the incumbency of the Rev. Skeffington Armstrong, resident at Sustead vicarage, held in conjunction with Bessingham. The glebe is 32½A., and the tithes were commuted in 1839 for £137 per annum. Near the church is a tumulus of half an acre.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and round tower, and was probably built in the 13th century.
POST from Norwich, via Hanworth.
Amis Mrs Mary farmer Armstrong Rev. Skeffington rector; h Sustead Cooper Thomas sexton Emery Robert farmer and shoemaker Franklin Miss Maria school Franklin Mrs Mary farmer Mann John farmer Spurrell Daniel, Esq. landowner, Manor House Spurrell Edmund Denham, Esq. Waterson John shopkeeper White Stephen overseer and victualler, Horse Shoes Inn
Copyright © Pat Newby.