BESSINGHAM, 8 miles N.N.W. of Aylsham, and 5 miles S.S.W. of Cromer, has in its parish 153 inhabitants, and 508 acres of land, mostly belonging to Daniel Spurrell, Esq., of the Hall; but W.H. Scott, Esq., of Aylsham, is lord of the manor, and F.E. Arden, Esq., is patron of the living which is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4. 6s. 8d., and now in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Cotton Arden, who is non-resident. The glebe is 25A., and the tithes were commuted in 1839, for £137 per annum. Near the church is a tumulus of half an acre. The Church (St. Mary) comprises nave, chancel, south porch, and round tower.
The chief residents are -
Spurrell Daniel, Esq. Hall Bishop Charles blacksmith Brown Geo. parish clerk Emery Robert carrier to Norwich on Fridays Franklin Maria schoolmistress Puxley Thomas farmer Skivins Robert shopkeeper Thursby Samuel farmer White Henry Stpn. plumber, glazier and victualler, Horse ShoesPOST from Norwich, via Hanworth.
Copyright © Pat Newby.