Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Bessingham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

BESSINGHAM, 8 miles N.N.W. of Aylsham, and 5 miles S.S.W. of Cromer, has in its parish 139 souls, and 508 acres of land, mostly belonging to Mr. D. Spurrell, who has a neat mansion here; but G.S. Repton, Esq., is lord of the manor, and the Rev. F.E. Arden is patron of the Church (St. Mary,) which has a round tower.

The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £4. 6s. 8d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Henry Cotton. The glebe is 25A. and the tithes were commuted in 1839, for £137 per annum. Near the church is a tumulus of half an acre.


	Blyth      Robert           blacksmith
	Emery      George           farmer  [see note below]
	Emery      Wm.              shoemaker
	Flogdell   Samuel           wheelwright
	Frankland  Geo.             shopkeeper
	Puxley     Timothy          farmer  [see note below]
	Puxley     Tmy. jun.        joiner
	Spurrell   Daniel           gent.
	Spurrell   Mrs. and Misses
	White      Hy. S.           plumber, glazier, & vict. Horse Shoes

Note: In the original this is:
   George Emery, and Timothy Puxley, farmers
See also the Bessingham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2002