Its parish belongs to a number of owners, some of whom reside here. The Rev. R.C. Denny, M.A., is lord of the manors of Burgh-cum-Apton and Washingford; and Sir Charles H.S. Rich, Bart., is lord of the manor of Hillington, which includes part of this parish.
Several tumuli on White Heath in this parish have been examined at various periods, and a sword, several urns, and other remains, evidently of the British or Celtic age, have been found. There is a tradition that a battle was fought here, one force occupying White Heath, whilst the enemy was placed on Barnes Heath; and it is not improbable that this spot was the scene of an engagement between the Romans and the Iceni. The churchyard stands in the centre of the site of a Roman camp, of about the same area as those at Tasburgh and Caister.
The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul) is a cruciform structure of rubble and flint, and comprises nave, chancel, transepts, and tower. The latter contains six bells and a clock, and is square and embattled. The organ was presented by the present rector. In 1881 the side galleries were taken down and the entire church re-seated with oak, and a pulpit and reading desk added, at the expense of the present rector and friends. In the chancel is a painted window in memory of Clara, wife of Colonel Thursby.
The Rev. William Thursby, M.A., of Ormerod House, Burnley, Lancashire, is patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £13 6s. 8d., and now having a mediety of Holverstone (£5 5s. a year) annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. William Ford Thursby, B.C.L., who has a commodious rectory house. The glebe is 47A. 2R. 38P., and the tithes have been commuted for £598 10s. per annum.
Here was anciently another church (St. Martin), but it was dilapidated in the 15th century, and its remains were cleared away in 1834.
Here is a commodious National School, built in 1839, at a cost of £700, and attended by about 80 scholars.
A farm of 60 acres was left by Christopher Tenwinter in 1599, for the general benefit of the parish, but subject to the yearly distribution of 20s. among the poor. Since 1660 the rent has been applied in defraying the churchwardens' and constables' expenses. The Poor's Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1801, is 22 acres, let for £28, which is distributed in coal.
POST OFFICE at Mr. William Weddup's. Letters viâ Norwich, arrive at 5.20 a.m., and depart at 4.55 p.m.
Badcock - farmer Cotten Robert farmer Cummins Rev. William Henry, M.A. vicar of Hardley, Holly lodge Denny Miss Harriet Verandah cottage Denny Rev. Richard Cooke, M.A., J.P. (county Suffolk) Manor house Harvey Charles beerhouse Hurrell John farmer Hurring George wheelwright Hyde-Clarke Edward, Esq. Burgh-Apton cottage Lamb Robert Spence farmer and assistant overseer, Street farm Lamb William farmer Leeder Edmund Albert farmer, surveyor, and assessor of taxes, Hillside farm Leeder Palmer farmer; h Brooke Lovell David blacksmith Lloyd Stephen sexton Nursey Hy. Wm. farmer, Town farm Nursey Richard farmer, Hall farm Parfitt George farmer and surveyor Plumpton Wm. National schoolmaster Redgrave Moses bricklayer Stiles Rev. George Edward Carter, B.A. (Oxon) curate Thursby Rev. William Ford, B.C.L. (Camb.) rector, Rectory Weddup William postmaster Wyld William shopkeeper
In the first paragraph,
"for 'East' Brooke, read 'West.'"
Copyright © Pat Newby.