The rateable value in 1883 was £1165. Its parish contained 139 inhabitants in 1881, and 854 acres of rich loamy land, of which 130 are marsh, 690 arable, 27 water, and 7 plantations. Edward William Trafford, Esq. owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor; but W.H. Trafford, Esq. and Sir Jacob Henry Preston, Bart., J.P. have estates here.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) has a tower and 3 bells. It has a high pitched roof, put up in 1862, when a new pulpit and reading desk were obtained, and the south side was reseated with oak. Here is an interesting old oak screen, with a fine painting of the twelve Apostles. The bank on the west side of the churchyard rises nearly perpendicularly from the river, and the rectory house stands in a romantic situation on the northern acclivity. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and now at £430, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. George Peter Buck.
The tithes of Belaugh were commuted in 1831 for £222 6s. per annum. The Church Estate consists of 3 cottages and 3A.1R.3P., let for about £18 a year. The School is supported by voluntary rate, subscription, and Government grant. The poor of Belaugh have a share of Topcliffe's Charity (see Wroxham), and the rent of 1½A., left by Wm. Green, in 1717.
POST from Norwich, via Hoveton.
Blythe Joshua parish clerk Buck Rev. George Peter rector Clark Miss Maria schoolmistress Green Wm. Fredk. frmr.; h Wroxham Grimble Robert grocer Hammant Mrs Elizabeth farmer Youngs William farmer, Hall, and Juby farms
"for 'Colveston,' read 'Coltishall.'"
Copyright © Pat Newby.