BELAUGH, in the south-east angle of this hundred, is a small village, picturesquely seated on the summit and sides of an abrupt acclivity, which rises within a semicircular curve of the river Bure, 8½ miles N.E. by N. of Norwich. Its parish contains 164 inhabitants, and 855 acres of rich loamy land, of which 199 are marsh, 647 arable, and seven plantations. Captain Trafford, of Wroxham, owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (St. Peter,) has a tower, and was re-pewed and glazed in 1831. The bank on the west side of the churchyard rises nearly perpendicular from the river, and the parsonage-house stands in a romantic situation on the northern acclivity. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and in 1831, at £420, with the vicarage of Scottow annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Norwich, and incumbency of the Rev. John Lubbock, M.A.
The tithes of Belaugh have been commuted for £222 6s. per annum, and the glebe is 3A.2R.4P. The Church Estate consists of two cottages, and 6A.1R.29P., let for about £15 a year. The Town House is a double cottage, occupied by poor parishioners. The poor of Belaugh have a share of Topcliffe's Charity, (see Wroxham,) and the rent of 1½A., left by Wm. Green, in 1717.
Allen Richard farmer Culling Joshua farmer Hanton John farmer Lofty Chas. farmer Steward Samuel farmer Tonqueray Rev. Charles, M.A. curate, Rectory
Copyright © Pat Newby.