[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
BEIGHTON, on a gentle eminence, 2 miles S. by W. of Acle, and 10 miles W. of Yarmouth, is in Walsham hundred, Blofield union, Norwich county court and bankruptcy district, Blofield and Walsham petty sessional division, Blofield polling district of South Norfolk, Blofield rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had, in 1881, 272 inhabitants, living on 996 acres of land, of a rateable value of £2019 10s. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late H.N. Burroughes, Esq., the Rev. Daniel Gillet, and W.D. Fowler, Esq. Robert Fellowes, Esq., is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is of Decorated architecture, and consists of aisles, with clerestory, chancel, south porch, and low square tower with one bell. The seats are open benches, with poppy-heads. Here are canopied sedilia for three priests, and a small piscina. A portion of the chancel screen remains. The south aisle has been restored, and the screen was replaced in 1881, by the present rector. The two east windows of the aisles, the three windows on the north side of the chancel, and the head of the large Geometrical east window are filled with painted glass, executed by Warrington, of London. The three chancel windows contain good figures of St. Peter, St. Andrew, St. John, St. Bartholomew, and St. Philip; and the windows on the south side of the chancel are filled with painted glass representing the other six Apostles. The font is Early English, and octagonal, and the pulpit, reading desk, and eagle-lectern are handsome and substantial. The restoration of this church, under the late rector, was carried on at an expense of over £1600, and the tower is just being partially rebuilt and restored, in memory of the Rev. T.L. Fellowes, the late rector.
Robert Fellowes, Esq., is patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Book at £13, and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Cecil Fellowes, L.T., who has a pleasant rectory house, built in 1846, a yearly rent-charge of £420, in lieu of tithes, and 8A. 1R. of glebe land.
The National School was built in 1856, at a cost of £200, and is attended by about 60 children. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here, built in 1862, at a cost of £200. The Poor's Allotment, 9A. 1R. 37P., awarded at the enclosure, is let for £20 a year.
POST OFFICE at Mr. James Hubbard's. Delivery at 7.30 a.m., despatch at 3.25 p.m., viâ Acle, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Barker Mathew crpntr. & whlwright Brundall Mrs Mary Ann Capon Mrs Robert farmer Curtis Benjamin shopkeeper Fellowes Rev. Henry Cecil, L.T. The Rectory Fowler John tailor Fowler William farmer Gillett Hubert farmer; h Gelderstone Lake Ephraim farmer Miles Mrs Martha S. Myhill John shopkpr. & road surveyor Neave Walter parish clerk Peacock Walter blacksmith Read John farmer Read Robert shopr. & vict. Nelson Whitworth Miss Susan schlmistress Wright John bricklayer Wright Richard farmer Youngs James farmer & shopkeeper
John C. Hayes, Freethorpe and Norwich, Wed. and Sat.
William Holmes, Norwich and Acle, three times weekly.
"for 'Blofield' polling district, read 'Freethorpe;'"
Post Office: "for 'viâ Acle, which,' read '[viâ] Norwich. Acle is,' &c".
See also the Beighton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.